Dear Culture of Peace Initiative Participants (CPI),
Here is our idea to help you start thinking about Peace Day in your community! Begin by simply connecting with local neighbors and residents, to prepare for Peace Day on the week of September 21. Start meeting new people who are interested in Peace issues by attending local events, or organizing a group meeting. Ask friends or fellow co-workers to help. Here are 9 ways to get the ball rolling:
1. Have coffee… or tea.
2. Host a film screening.
3. Invite a guest speaker.
4. Setup a volunteer event.
5. Pass around a contact sheet for those interested in Peace Day, at events, crowds or classrooms.
6. Invite local nonprofits who work on “Peace” issues in your community.
7. Meet at a home, school, office, church, bookstore, bar, yoga studio or cafe!
8. Call the event/meet-up “Peace in (your city/town)”.
9. Organize a monthly “Peace” themed event.
Suggestion: Create a new Facebook page to promote meeting(s) and the build-up to Peace Day 2012. For example: ”Peace Day in (city/town)“. Share with us your page if you do! We’ll link to your page, to help others find you!
CPI will continue to share ideas, updates and highlights of the build-up to Peace Day online and through our newsletters. By the way, our Facebook page has over 47,000 participants! www.facebook.com/peaceday.
UN Observances and theme: Representatives from organizations within CPI are working with the United Nations Deptartment of Public Information on this year’s theme for the International Day of Peace, the theme for 2012 is "Sustainable Peace for a Sustainable Future.”