CANCER FIGHTING PROPERTIES and the necessity of their INCLUSION - to our eating habits....
- Senior Consultant surgical ONCOLOGY Dr. B. Niranjan Naik and senior clinical nutritionist, Fortis La Femme, & Shipra Saklani M, inform us about the GOODNESS of INDIAN SPICE with
Turmeric/Curcumin: This is the king of spices when it comes to dealing with cancer diseases, Turmeric contains the powerful polyphenol Curcumin that has been clinically proven to retard the growth of cancer cells causing Prostrate cancer, melanoma, Breast cancer, Brain tumour, pancreatic cancer and leukemia amongst a host of others. Curcumin promotes 'Apoptosis'- (programmed cell death/cell suicide) that safely eliminates cancer breeding cells without posing a threat to the development of other healthy cells. In cases of conventional radiotherapy and chemotherapy, the surrounding cells too become a target in addition to the cancer cells. Therefore, the side-effects are imminent. Spices like turmeric and saffron are inherent with medicinal properties that, when incorporated to our diet from an early stage strengthens our bodies against invasion of toxins, bacteria and virus. Fennel: Armed with phyto-nutrients and antioxidants, cancer cells have nothing but to accept defeat when the spice is fennel. 'Anethole', a major constituent of fennel resists and restricts the adhesive and invasive activities of cancer cells. It suppresses the enzymatic regulated activities behind cancer cell multiplication. A tomato-fennel soup with garlic or fresh salads with fennel bulbs make for an ideal entree prior to an elaborate course meal. Roasted fennel with parmesan can be another star pick.
Saffron: A natural carotenoid dicarboxylic acid called 'Crocetin' is the primary cancer-fighting element that saffron contains. It not only inhibits the progression of the disease but also decreases the size of the tumour by half, guaranteeing a complete goodbye to cancer. Though it is the most expensive spice in the world for it is derived from around 250,000 flower stigmas (saffron crocus) that make just about half a kilo, a few saffron threads come loaded with benefits you won't regret paying for. Saffron threads can be used in various ways:
Cumin: Yes, it aids digestion and probably that is why we like chewing a handful of cumin seeds at the end of every meal. However, its health benefits go beyond. A portent herb with anti-oxidant characteristics, cumin seeds contain a compound called 'Thymoquinone' that checks proliferation of cells responsible for prostate cancer. So, instead of loading your usual snack options with calories and oil, add this seasoning to your bread, fried beans or sauce and make the dish rich in flavour and high on health. You can rediscover the magic of cumin in your regular bowl of tadka dal and rice too!
Cinnamon: It takes not more than a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder every day to keep cancer risk away. A natural food preservative, cinnamon is a source of iron and calcium. Useful in reducing tumour growth, it blocks the formation of new vessels in the human body. Some of the effective ways of including cinnamon in your diet are:
-Start your day with a cup of cinnamon tea (in leaf or sachet) -Make your breakfast meal a super healthy one; just add this wonder spice to your morning oatmeal and you are going well! -A fruity delight comprising chopped apples, a few walnuts and your magic potion cinnamon -Honey and cinnamon in your glass of milk before going to bed; no cancer nightmares assured!
Oregano: More than a pizza or pasta topping, oregano confirms its worth as a potential agent against prostate cancer. Consisting of anti-microbial compounds, just one teaspoon of oregano has the power of two cups of red grapes! Phyto-chemical 'Quercetin' present in oregano restricts growth of malignant cells in the body and acts like a drug against cancer-centric diseases.
Cayenne Pepper/Capsaicin (Chilli peppers): A promising spice with anti-cancer properties, an overdose of chilli peppers however should be restrained. Capsaicin induces the process of apoptosis that destroys potential cancer cells and reduces the size of leukemia tumour cells considerably. It can be concluded that apart from setting our tongues on fire, chilli peppers can scare cancer pathogens off too.
Ginger: This humble spice boasts of medicinal qualities that help lowering cholesterol, boost metabolism and kill cancer cells. Easily added to vegetable dishes, fish preparations and salads,ginger enhances the flavour in cooking. Chew on fresh parsley if the odour bothers you.
Others: Cloves, anise, basil, garlic, caraway, fenugreek, mustard, mint leaves, rosemary, Limonin (fresh lemon), virgin olive, vinegar and avocado are other cancer-fighting diet components.
Dr. K Medhi, Senior Consultant, Medical Oncology informs us on other diet habits that can keep cancer risk at bay:
1. A plant-based diet with a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains and beans is the best organic way to fight cancer. 2. Add fibre: Replace white rice with brown rice in meals 3. Substitute whole-grain bread for white bread; choose a bran muffin over a pastry 4. Snack on popcorn instead of potato chips. 5. Eat fresh fruits with skin. 6. Omega-3 fatty acids fight inflammation. 7. Cook with olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil 8. Avoid packaged or fried foods that are high in trans-fats 9. Avoid processed salt. Celtic sea salt/Himalayan salt can be consumed sparingly. 10. Cancer patients: Do not load your diet with turmeric or Curcumin supplements without doctor's consult or prescribed dosage.
Cancer fighting salad recipe: Couscous salad with sun dried tomato
Couscous Wheat- 120 gms
Turmeric - 1 gm
Salt/pepper To Taste
Sun dried tomato- 2 nos
Olives (black/Green) - 2 nos each
Mint leaves- 2 sprig
Bell pepper dices- 15 gm
Olive oil- 2 Tsp
Pickle onion- 2 nos
1. Take a pan and add salt, pepper, turmeric, couscous, olive oil and saffron. Steam the couscous for 5 minutes and chill immediately.
2. Now add lemon juice, bell pepper, olives, sun dried tomato, pickle onion (chopped) and dice ginger. Mix well and add mint. Mould it on top of lettuce leaves and serve chilled
someone's eyes made my day... dont know what happened to me i am crazy on her eyes , her smile how pretty she was ...have big smile on my face my parents, siblings r asking wht hapnd to you,,,, i dont have answer .... ^__^
Srs.Congresistas a quienes les di mi voto: Daniel Zamudio ha sido asesinado vilmente,por ello vengo con tristeza a recordarles los dos primeros articulos de la Declaración de los Derechos Humanos :Artículo 1
Todos los seres humanos nacen libres e iguales en dignidad y derechos y, dotados como están de razón y conciencia, deben comportarse fraternalmente los unos con los otros.
1. Toda persona tiene todos los derechos y libertades proclamados en esta Declaración, sin distinción alguna de raza, color, sexo, idioma, religión, opinión política o de cualquier otra índole, origen nacional o social, posición económica, nacimiento o cualquier otra condición.
My nephew Jacob is gong to be on 60 Minutes this evening in a story about prosopagnosia, or face blindness. For those of you who don't know Jacob, he is the sweetest guy in the world who has this rare but fascinating condition.